08 October 2013

Leafy Decor

There's something about fall that gets me in a crafty mood - maybe it's the fact that fall decorations (and soon Christmas decorations, my absolute favorites!) are out and I'm inside more! A few nights ago, I bought some supplies and made this super easy wreath. The best part is that nothing's glued down so I can redecorate the wreath as much as I want!

When I was in college, I took flower arranging and our first project was to make a wreath using dried flowers. This was my favorite activity - not only does my wreath last forever, but I was actually really proud of how it turned out. I was really excited to have a front door to hang it on when we moved, however, I found out that having potpourri between the front door and the screen door created a foggy mess. Sad day for me, but we'll reuse it elsewhere. The happy news was that I got to make a new wreath!

I already had a bouquet of silk fall flowers and leaves that I got on clearance at Wal-Mart last year. To add to my supplies, I went to the store and got a similar bouquet with some more berries, a wreath, and a 2 inch wide spool of burlap. I figured I could cut the bouquets apart and have smaller bits to work with, and luckily I was right. I cut my pieces apart, and then began to stick them in the wreath. I could adjust as much as I wanted because I didn't glue them, which was such a good choice! After I got everything inserted, I took my burlap ribbon and tied a bow (thank you Grandma for teaching me how to tie a pretty one!). This project only took me about 30 cat-free minutes, was inexpensive and is a nice touch to the outside of the house!



2 comments:

  1. Your wreath looks so good!! Cat-free minutes are hard to come by...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had to shut them out of the room because they were eating the wreath. So for a hurried 20 minutes, I did my wreath while listening to them meow! Torture, but worth it! :)

      Delete