01 November 2013

Mega Desk

Got my project done this week and I'm pretty pleased. What is it? Well, as the title says, it's... MEGA DESK!!! Or at least that's the working title.


I wanted an awesome desk to go with my awesome computer and I didn't want to spend a fortune on it. My solution? Make one myself. The desk space on this thing is pretty big - 80" x 30". The top is made of a solid core door slab, so it's also got some good weight to it.


I wanted the keyboard to be at a good height, but the monitors would be a little too low then. I decided a good way to fix this problem was to build an additional shelf on the desktop. The also provides a nice little storage area for things like hard drives, headphones, office supplies, and the like. Another thing I wanted was a better way to manage cables in the back so they weren't just all over the place. I mounted the power strip on the desk and added a few hooks to keep cables up. I've still got some zip-tying to do to get everything more out of the way, but we're getting there.



Building it wasn't too bad. It took about three weeks from the time I started until it was finished, working only when I felt like it. This past week was most of the work - sanding, staining, and sealing.





I also think I did pretty well accomplishing my goal of getting a great desk without spending a fortune. Total cost was low - maybe around $125 total, most of which was the door followed by the Minwax products - wood conditioner, stain, polyurethane. And now my setup is now complete - let the awesome begin!



No comments:

Post a Comment