10 February 2015

Fruit Pizza

I love pizza. I also love contrasting flavors and textures when I'm eating. I want a crunchy element to pair with a soft entree. I want a salty accent to my sweet dessert. So, when our church group decided to have pizza at our next get together, I thought it would be fun to make a fruit pizza too. It's in keeping with the theme, but is also a rich and bright contrast to the salty, meaty pies we would be having otherwise. Plus I just straight up love fruit pizza anyway, even if I'd never made it before. I found this recipe on Allrecipes and gave it a try.



The Recipe

Fruit Pizza
1/2 Cup Softened Butter
3/4 Cup White Sugar
1 Egg
1-1/4 Cups Flour
1 Teaspoon Cream of Tartar
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
8 oz. Cream Cheese
1/2 Cup White Sugar
2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
Fruit of your choice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cream together the butter and 3/4 cup sugar until smooth, then mix in the egg. In another bowl, combine the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Add this to the wet ingredients until just blended. Press the dough into an ungreased pizza pan and bake until lightly browned (about 10 minutes). Remove from the oven and let cool. To make the frosting, beat the cream cheese with the 1/2 cup sugar and vanilla until light. Spread this on the crust once it's cool. Slice and arrange your desired fruit on top and chill the dish until ready to serve.




The Results

Let me say it again - I love fruit pizza. And this turned out quite well, if I do say so myself. We used strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries, which made for a good combination. If / when we make this again we'll probably try out some different fruit. We could probably pile it a little higher with fruit too, but we started off fairly conservatively, since we weren't sure how far the fruit we bought would go. Another change I'd probably make would be to use a smaller pan or make more of the recipe. It filled about 2/3 of a sheet pan (I don't have any crappy pizza pans lying around here), so if I made a double recipe it would fill the pan and be a little thicker crust. And that's something I wouldn't mind (Chicago Style > New York Style FOREVER!).

And that's all for now. Thanks for reading and we'll catch you on the flip side.

No comments:

Post a Comment