30 December 2014

No, I'm Not Over Bacon Yet

There's been some talk in recent years about how America's passion for pork belly (since this is 'Murica and extra fatty is how we like it) has waned and is on its way out. Well, maybe that's true for some... but I've always loved bacon and will continue to do so until I die (ideally, from complications brought on by an all-bacon diet... actually, that sounds terrible... I'd at least want some pancakes to accompany that delicious meaty goodness). But anyway, the point of all this is that I still enjoy eating bacon and like finding new ways to do so. This latest recipe, our 20th published this year, was sent to me by my mom, comes from ohbiteit.com, is found here. It's similar to another post, but different enough that I think it's worth posting. I didn't take any pictures (as I was too busy both making and eating it to do so) but the pictures in the link above are nice and give a good feel for what to expect (you should expect deliciousness). I'm not a huge fan of the name - I think calling things "crack" is a little overdone (maybe not unlike using bacon in everything?), so I think something more like Bacon Candy or Bacon Brittle (it's not at all like traditional brittle, but it does resemble it a bit) would be more appropriate. But hey, it's not my recipe.


The Recipe

Bacon Crack
1 Container Crescent Dough
1 Pound Bacon
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Maple Sugar
1 Pinch Cayenne (Optional)

Start off by crisping your bacon, either on the stove or in the microwave. Once it's semi-crisp, drain it and crumble it. Next, spread your dough on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and then poke shallow holes in it with a fork. Brush on a layer of maple syrup and then evenly distribute the bacon over that. Now put another thin layer of syrup over the bacon, then cover all that with the brown sugar. Bake at 325 for about 25 minutes or until the dough is evenly golden and the sugar has mostly melted. Let it cool for about 15 minutes and then cut it into pieces, plate, and serve.


The Results

Oh so good. We served this for some friends and it was a big hit. I did make a few tweaks, but nothing major. The recipe says you can add a bit of cayenne to the brown sugar, but I skipped that since not everyone likes that. I did, however, add some black pepper to the bacon while I crisped it up (which I do by slicing the bacon before I put it on the stove so it cooks quickly). This gives it just a little different, more spiced flavor that I rather like. I also added a bit of bourbon to the maple syrup for a bit more added flavor. Not much, mind you (and could probably do more next time), but just a bit. Obviously this is optional, but I think it's fun. I also cut it up with a pizza cutter, which I think was probably the best way to cut it and is a tip worth sharing.

And I think that's all to say on this one. Hopefully you've enjoyed these food posts throughout the year and we'll be back with more of them and lots more other posts next year! Which is like, two days away...

Happy New Year, errrbody!

No comments:

Post a Comment