28 January 2014

Concerning Hobbits

I've taken the first step in my mission to read twenty books this year. I decided to start with a book my sister gave me for Christmas titled, Hobbit Lessons: A Map for Life's Unexpected Journeys. The author of the book, Devin Brown, is a professor where my sister attends school, Asbury University. She went to a special lecture he gave and picked up a signed copy of the book for me there. It's a small book, easily read, and divided into only a few chapters, each with its own little lesson. It looked interesting and I was curious to see what insights Brown, who is quite the authority on Tolkien and his works, would pull from The Hobbit. It also seemed appropriate given the origin of the this blog's title and the recent release of the second part of Peter Jackson's film adaptation. Plus, reading a fun, short book like this would hopefully keep me from getting bogged down in one of the thick biographies or other, longer books I have in my queue.



The book begins with a prologue stating the intended audience is anyone "undertaking an adventure and leaving behind a life that has been familiar, comfortable, and predicable." While I may not fit directly into the examples he gives - such as those recently graduated or moving to another country - I don't think that means I, or even you, can't get anything out of this book. The chapters, with titles like "When Adventure Comes Knocking, Let It In (Even If It Makes You Late For Dinner)" and "Have Your Friends' Backs (Someone Has Yours)" have words of wisdom any of us can appreciate. Each section has its own little message to impart, speaking on the dangers of greed, the value of humility and friendship, and how much of the world you miss out on if you're never willing to risk the comfort you cling to so dearly. Brown intermingles moments of The Hobbit - typically counsel Gandalf gives Bilbo or events that define Bilbo's transformation from complacent hobbit to accomplished burglar - with his take on the lessons Tolkien is telling us and bits of biblical wisdom. These short sections combine gave me a good bit to think on after each reading.

My favorite chapter, "Be Fond of Waistcoats, Pocket Hankerchiefs, and Even Arkenstones (Just Don't Let Them Become Too Precious)", deals with appreciating things of the world, but at an appropriate level. It always seems that the more someone has the harder it is to give to others. I never want this to be said of me. Every blessing is an opportunity to bless others. Am I always good at this? No, not by a long shot. But it's something that I want to make an effort to do a better job at. Leslie and I even included a few goals (that didn't make it into our blog post) that deal specifically with this. But even beyond generosity, we need to appreciate the simple things of life. One of my favorite lines from The Hobbit that Brown cites is Thorin telling Bilbo that, "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." This serves as a good reminder for me to appreciate the value in the simple comforts of a warm home, a loving wife, a good job, adorable pets, and a full pantry and fridge. I don't need to chase after money or success to achieve happiness. And I think that's a worthwhile lesson, even if I take nothing else from this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment